The last years, the number of people who decided to buy a property or invest in Greece has constantly increased. The healthy Mediterranean climate, with more than 300 sunny days a year΄, the unparalleled diversity and beauty in landscape and vegetation΄ the exquisite local cuisine΄ the 16,000 km of coastline. These are only some of the reasons why this country attracts so many people.
Lefkada Island follows the trend
Also, the Island of Lefkada has become a major investment attraction. It is a fact that both greeks and foreigners made and make investments in Lefkada.
On the island, there is a big community of “expats”. People from all over the world (english, french, russians, italians and so on) choose to settle on the Island all year round. Moreover, the number of investors who are looking for profitable opportunities, greeks and foreigners, have put their radar on Lefkada. They buy properties, houses, land or plots, or even settled businesses and they start activities on the island of Lefkada.
But what attracts investments in Lefkada?
Why invest in Lefkada?
Lefkada is first of all an island of outstanding and unspoiled beauty. Some of the most beautiful beaches of the Mediterranean Sea such as Porto Katsiki, Egremni are here. Many more like Kathisma, Pefkoulia, Gialos, together with hidden coves and bays, dot its more than 100km coastline.
Secondly, there are traditional villages where life still follows old rhythms such as Agios Nikitas, Ligia, Karya, Nikiana, Sivota and Vasiliki. But also cosmopolitan little centres such as the capital Lefkada Town or the summer resort of Nidri.
Finally, there are also areas ideal for those people who like to immerse themselves into nature.
A bit of everything in other words. Indeed this feature of the island makes Lefkada a small paradise. Here the quality of life is very high. Not only an ideal place for vacation. But also a perfect place where to live all year round.
All the above with the advantage that you can easily reach Lefkada. The access to the island is by car, through the 50mt swing mobile bridge.
Advantages of Investments in Lefkada Island
There are many reasons for someone to invest in Lefkada Island. Below you can read some of the more important ones.
Common reasons to all Greece
- Greece is at the top of EU mediterranean safe-countries list
- Healthcare: likewise in all Greece there is a universal health care system provided through national health insurance.
- Friendly and hospitable people, relaxed lifestyle.
- English is widely spoken.
- Generally, Greece laws and regulations are becoming more ‘investor friendly’.
- Innumerable tourist sites of interest.
- Rich History, Culture, local traditions.
Specific to Lefkada
- Excellent connections to mainland (4 hours drive to Athens), other nearby islands (Ithaka, Kefalonia, Korfu) and other european countries. Indeed Lefkada has a very efficient bus transportation system which links the island to the major towns of Greece such as Athens, Thessaloniki, Ioannina etc. Moreover from April to November, there is also frequent connection by air to Europe, thanks to the nearby airport of Atkion Preveza. All year round from Igoumenitsa ( 1 hour and 15 minutes from Lefkada by car) you can go to Italy. Finally during the summer months, an efficient ferry service links both Nidri and Lefkas Town to Ithaka and Kefalonia and Corfu.
- Lefkada island is a major touristic destination. Until few years ago the touristic season was pretty short. However, in the last 5-6 years, this got longer going from April until October, increasing this way the number of days to rent your property. This gives increased margins to earn good profit from your investments in Lefkada.
What investments can you make in Lefkada Island?
Should you decide to make an investment in Lefkada island you can: buy a piece of land, a villa, an apartment or a house. Or finally, you can open or buy a new business activity such as a shop or a restaurant.
Buying a villa in Lefkada
Do you wish to have a dreamy summer corner all for you? Are you considering to rent your property to earn some extra money? If the answer is yes then buying a villa in Lefkada is definitely a good move! Indeed the market offers plenty of opportunities for different kinds of budget. From a small maisonette or a traditional house to a big villa, all usually with private swimming pool. And given the physiognomy of the island of Lefkada always with amazing panoramic views.
There are many residential areas in Lefkada where you can find villas for sale. While some of them are close to a small seaside urban center like Sivota, Vasiliki, Nidri, Lefkas Town, Ligia, Agios Nikitas , others are located in mountaineus areas such as Tsoukalades, Dragano, Athani, Amousso, Kalamitsi or the area of Karya.
Buying a house or apartment in Lefkada
To buy an apartment or a house is definitely a cheaper solution than purchasing a villa. In Lefkada there are various kind of houses and apartment on sale. New properties, recently built, where the only thing you need to do is to add the furniture which will transform your new purchase into your house. But there are also properties which need maintenance or restoration work. The latter are usually cheaper, likewise the new constructions.
Buying a piece of land in Lefkada
Certainly another good investment in Lefkada is represented by the possibility to buy land or a plot. There are various sizes of lands and plots on the market. Waterfront or mountaneous land, small or big plots for sale. Also the prices can vary a lot. Should you decide to take advantage of this option you can build a house or a villa according to your tastes and preference.
Investments in Lefkada: the Buying Process
In order to buy a property in Lefkada you need to take a few bureucratic steps ( this applies in fact to all Greece). Once you have found a property or a piece of land that meets your taste and you wish to proceed for purchase you will need to:
- Apply for your Greek Tax Registry Number (AFM)
- Open a Greek Bank Account
- Appoint a Notary (mandatory) and, if you wish, you can have legal and technical advice, from a Solicitor, a Surveyor and an Accountant (optional)
The procedure to buy a property then is similar to that of other countries. Therefore it includes: signing a pre-contract, paying a deposit, signing the final contract (when all fees and taxes have been paid).
Get in touch with us if you are interested in investing in Lefkada
As a leading Tourist operator specialized in Villas Management we have developed a sound knowledge of what Lefkada has to offer also in terms of properties investments. Therefore in the last few years, we started to offer advisory and support services also in the field of real estate.
We have a portfolio of Villas, apartments, land and plots for sale that you can see. We can assist you during the buying process, as we cooperate with a complete network of professional staff: Notaries, Engineers, Architects, Accountants, Lawyers. Therefore we can offer you professional, friendly, fast and efficient support.
Moreover, we are in the position to offer you advice also after-sales. Property management services to fully cover your needs. Or support during the construction of a new property.
If you wish to learn more about investing in Lefkada please get in touch with us or come to visit us in our brand new office in Lefkada Town.